Many homeowners in Arvada find it easy to overlook a water leak or dripping faucet in their home. They think that a tiny amount of clean water does not pose any threat or harm to the house. However, it is essential to know that in just 24 hours, even a tiny amount of water can create enough moisture to foster the growth of toxic black mold. And as the leak continues, there can be much more costly damage and waste occurring.
Wasted Water And Money
We all know that water is a very precious natural resource. However, when you have always had an abundance of water available at the turn of a faucet, you tend to take it for granted. But even a small leak is a waste of water and the money you pay each month for that water. Just 20 drips per minute add up to nearly six gallons of water per day or over 2,000 per year. That is a lot of water and money to waste.
Mold must have three basic needs met to survive. The first is an optimal temperature of about 40 degrees, which most homes easily meet. The second is a food source which can be anything from wood, paper, and paint to fabric or carpeting. This need is also easily met in all homes in the region. The final requirement for mold to thrive is moisture. Fortunately, most homes do not offer enough moisture in the air for mold to exist. However, when you have even a small water leak in your house, you have met that third requirement, and mold will thrive. The result is damage to the structure of your home and your belongings, as well as potential health risks for you and your loved ones. Mold spores are known to trigger asthma, allergies and cause some severe respiratory illnesses.
While the crack in the water line allows water to leak out, it is also compromising the purity of your water. When you turn on the shower or another high-demand appliance, the pressure on the waterline will suddenly decrease. That is also when debris and contamination can be sucked into your water supply. Depending on the location of the damaged pipe, dust, dirt, or wall insulation could begin to contaminate your drinking water.
Like mold, bugs and rodents need food and water to survive. And being that these critters are very opportunistic, they will quickly invade your home if they discover a water source to meet their needs. Therefore, when you discover insects or bugs in odd areas, there is sure to be a water leak or puddle nearby. You could also notice rodent droppings, damage to your home from rodents chewing through walls or doors, and gnawed up furniture or personal belongings when the rodents decide to make a home in your home to be near the new water source.
But It Is Only A Small Leak
The thing to remember with water leaks is that they never stay small very long. The force of the water rushing through a crack in a pipe will quickly cause the line to erode. And as the pipe damage becomes more severe, so does the water leak. Repairing a small leak is always the best choice to avoid more costly repairs in the future, as well as water damage, pest invasions, and the potential for mold infestations. Call (720) 650-2455 at the first sign of a water leak to avoid these issues. The licensed plumbers at Flatirons Plumbing will locate and repair the leak cost-effectively, and we back all our work with a complete warranty.