Count on our plumbers to be available when you need us most.

(720) 650-2455

Get a Free Estimate
Get a Call Back Today
Striking for 5-star service

Our Services

plumbing issue

Did You Know A Plumbing Issue Could Be Making You Sick?

Would it surprise you to learn that having a water leak in your home could be making you sick? And in most cases, it is not the apparent leak under the sink or that dripping faucet that is the culprit. The worst offenders are the leaks hidden deep in the walls or floors of your home that are doing the most damage to both you and your home. They could be the underlying cause of your ongoing health issues that are unexplained by your doctor but have you feeling miserable.

The Dangerous By-Product Of A Water Leak

While the leaking water can damage your home’s finishes and furnishings, the most worrisome byproduct of a water leak is the potential for health issues from mold exposure. Mold and mildew can begin to grow in less than 24 hours when conditions are optimal. Most homes in the area do not offer enough moisture for mold and mildew to thrive. But when a hidden leak is lurking in your home, all of the mold’s needs are met perfectly. And the invasion moves very swiftly.

Molds Three Needs

For mold to survive, it requires that three criteria are met. It needs the temperature to be in the 70s to 80s. It needs adequate moisture. And it requires a food source which could be anything from the wood used to build your home to the wallpaper or carpet used to finish it. Obviously, you cannot remove the food source or alter your home’s temperature enough to eliminate mold growth. But you can and should be vigilant about removing any leaks that offer mold the moisture it needs to invade your home.

The Health Implications Of Mold

Most of the health issues caused by mold and mildew are centered around your respiratory system. But many mild symptoms are noticeable very shortly after exposure to mold spores. These mild symptoms include:

  • Irritation to the nose and throat
  • Itchy, red, swollen eyes
  • Frequent coughing and sneezing, much like an allergic reaction
  • Sinus congestion, pressure, and pain
  • Fatigue

It is also important to note that skin contact with mold spores can cause an itchy skin rash in some people. Those people with pre-existing conditions such as COPD, allergies, or asthma can quickly show more severe symptoms and experience life-threatening reactions. The more severe issues caused by prolonged exposure to mold include but are not limited to:

  • Upper and lower respiratory infection
  • Fever
  • Trouble breathing

And unfortunately, the health risks can also impact your pets in many of the same ways, including:

  • Runny nose and eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Trouble breathing
  • Itchy rash

Eliminating Mold

If you or a loved one has been suffering from unexplained breathing issues, the solution could come from your plumber rather than your doctor. An inspection of your home is likely to reveal hidden water leaks that have been cultivating mold contamination in your walls, floors, and ceilings. And those mold spores are to blame for your health issues.

Locating any leaks and eliminating them is the first step in eliminating the hazardous mold in your home. Your licensed plumber will also be able to describe to you the amount of mold and how far it has spread throughout your home. For more widespread mold contamination, it is wise to hire a professional mold abatement company to ensure the complete elimination of this hazardous toxin.

If you are concerned about a potential water leak in your home, call (720) 650-2455. The experts from Flatirons Plumbing will arrive quickly to begin the process of locating any leaks in or under your home.